Acta Ichthyologica et Piscatoria 27(2): 17-27, doi: 10.3750/AIP1997.27.2.02
Morphomechanical aspects of the development of the bleak (Alburnus alburnus L.)
expand article infoA. Winnicki, A. Korzelecka
Open Access
Morphomechanical study on the changes taking place in the course of the embryonic development of the bleak (Alburnus alburnus L.) conducted on tlle live fish in vertical and horizontal light beams, revealed that the oocyte (yolk mass) occupies some 30% of the entire egg′s volume, while the remaining 70% is occupied by the perivitelline space. The blastodisc and subsequently the embryo and the larva before the hatching always take up lateral position in the egg. No lipid droplets (structural fat), commonly occurring in the eggs of the other teleost fishes are present in the yolk mass of the bleak eggs. Biological justification of the above extraordinary phenomena as well as their adaptive importance is discussed.